VOOM 2016 competition update – Six finalists in the run for a share of £1m prize
Six UK startups have reached the final round of Richard Branson’s Voom 2016 competition to pitch their business idea and win a share of £1m cash prize.
Voom 2016, formerly known as ‘Pitch To Rich‘ , aims to find the most innovative business from the UK and Ireland.
All of the finalists were chosen out of 3,000 entries and the recent Virgin Media Business’ Guinness World Record ‘pitchathon‘ event.
The selected startups, from ‘start-up’ and ‘grow’ categories are:
- MacRebuer – (start-up) uses a patented method and recipe to produce new road asphalt out of waste plastic.
- eFOLDi – (start-up) an electric scooter that can fold into a chair or portable suitcase so users can easily transport it around with them.
- Vibe Tickets – (start-up) an ethical marketplace that connects fans so they can buy and sell tickets at face value.
- bio-bean – (grow) a clean technology company which recycles waste coffee grounds from your morning cup of coffee into sustainable biofuels.
- Sibberi Tree Water – (grow) natural, hydrating drinking products which come from Birch, Maple and Bamboo tree sap.
- FoodCloud – (grow) a social enterprise that connects businesses that have surplus food with charities that need it, through a technology platform.
Richard Branson, Virgin Founder said: “Congratulations to all the finalists for making it through to the last and most crucial stage of the Virgin Media Business ‘VOOM 2016’ competition.
“We set out to find ambitious businesses who will shake up the market, step up on a global stage and who will have a positive impact on the UK economy – this year’s finalists all demonstrate these attributes.
“I can’t wait to meet them at what’s set to be an energetic and highly competitive finale.”